"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

-Henry David Thoreau

Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Kokopelli

I almost can't even write a post about the incredibility of this weekend! First of all, I LOVE TRIATHLONS! Everything about them impress me; the fitness, the atmosphere, the athletes, the volunteers. I love being a part of it. Second of all, it is freaking cool to do one with 4 other family members! Since I was the only one doing the Olympic, I got to see everyone start off. I almost felt like I was still a spectator because I was so worried about getting pictures as they were getting in and out of the water. My starting time came so fast, I had to run back to the transition area to get my swim stuff!



The swim went well. I kept trying to think how many "laps" I may have gone to judge my distance and times. I love open water swimming. I got to see Zach running in just as I was heading out on the bike. I saw Dad and Scott within the first mile, then I had about an hour to myself. I pushed it the whole way. I felt kinda hardcore as I was passing people, and if anyone passed me I tried to get back. I think only two or three bikers actually passed me and I lost sight of them. I stayed with or passed back the rest. I was feeling pretty good as I finished the bike, but I could tell my knee wasn't too strong. Two weeks before the race, I was running 16 miles in preparation for the St. George Marathon, and at mile 10 my muscles tensed and I felt something pop. I had rested it the whole week before the race, but it didn't seem to help much. It was hurting before the first half mile. I suffered through though, walking and running, and still finished with a pretty good time. I was really frustrated that my run took so long because if I was healthy I could have finished way better, but then I was really glad I could at least still do it. I'm not kidding, I absolutely love triathlons. And I love the workouts and training so this hopefully will become a big part of my life (our life really since Zach loves them so much too!).


It was an awesome event to do as a family too. I was especially happy for my dad to experience it like that because he has always been the only participant and he loved having everyone experience the excitement of actually racing. My mom took 1st place in her age group too! She is a very impressive person. I feel like this race brought us all closer, and it gave us an excuse to see Scott weekly, which is awesome. Hopefully we still can see each other a lot.


I won't overload on pictures because I am going to make a photo book, but here is all of us before and after!

No comments:

Post a Comment