"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

-Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

What a little email can do...

I received a sweet email from a dear friend today. It was the perfect email to give me the direction I have been looking for over the last week or so. I have been having a hard time trying to figure out if we were meant to have kids right now, if I should pursue my Masters degree through my work, or if I should use Zach's VA benefits to take some math classes and prepare to become a teacher. I have been a huge jumble of thoughts, and Zach has been gone at training which has made it all a lot harder because I don't have my partner here to talk things through. I feel like Nicole's email helped me to clear my head. She is such a great friend and example of keeping the gospel in the forefront of your life. She updated me on what they have been doing and it made me realize that among all the other things I think of in life, I desire very most to be an amazing mother and wife and to have a strong testimony. Somehow her quick email update helped me to remember that everything else will fall into place if you work at those things. It is strange to me that a simple email to keep in touch could help clarify my direction so well. Thank you Nicole for your sweet friendship.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Brandi....I continually think that I am the one on the better end of this friendship. You are just so much fun to hang around...even just sitting on a couch talking, or having a game night, or playing a ball game. I admire how earnestly you seek God's guidance in your life. You, like most people, have certain checkpoints that we like to reach to feel good about ourselves, and it does feel awesome when we accomplish them. So it just makes sense that a girl who can play college ball, train for marathons and triathlons, teach herself some very difficult Math....can also use that same energy and motivation to do God's will. You have a firm grasp on the ultimate design of our life here on earth. And that makes you a very powerful asset in God's kingdom. (Not to mention your future kids who are playing paper, rock, scissors to try to see who gets to come down first and be with you). They call these the latter days for a reason-because everything is supposed to get real tough and I feel like part of that is the general feeling that a woman doesn't have much value unless she has a few extra initials after her name (PhD, MD, etc). And I struggled for a long time when people asked me what my occupation was. I felt like a lump when I said, "I just a stay at home Mom". But it's caused me to reflect what do I really want to say is my greatest accomplishment? And it would probably be that I choose to have kids over a career and did my best to raise them all to be temple recommend holders and attenders. That would be my happy place. I feel kinda silly, but awhile back (when I have my moments of thinking about motherhood) I wrote some stuff on being a mom.
    http://trentandnicole.blogspot.com/2010/01/kids.html
    and
    http://trentandnicole.blogspot.com/2012/02/sacrifice.html

    I feel like such a lucky girl to have been able to get to know you. I wish we could go on more Cafe Rio dates and play some more ball together. Sure miss hanging out with you. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete