"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

-Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

A stranger in the neighborhood

One day I ran to the store, and when I got home there was a stranger walking away from our house. He was a black man wearing a bright yellow hat and shoes and kinda gangster looking clothes. We live in a semi-cul-de-sac and he was walking directly into the road, right at my car. I avoided eye contact because I thought he might try to stop me. I hurried and pulled into the garage and shut it. Then I got to thinking....
Why was he at our house?
If he was a salesman, why wasn't he going to any of my neighbors' houses?
If he was looking for us specifically, why didn't he stop me in my car?
I checked out the house, and much to my chagrin, I had left the front door unlocked. Zach always catches that mistake when I make it, so I was mentally kicking myself pretty hard. I checked to see if anything was missing or if there was a sign of someone coming in. I didn't find anything, but still felt unsettled. I ran to my neighbor's to see if he had come to her house. Bad news, he hadn't. So it didn't seem like he was a salesman, and that was the only solution I could come up with as to why he was there. Zach was, of course, gone. I talked to him about it a couple times on the phone. We decided I should have called the police, because if anything else, it was kinda suspicious since he did not look like anyone that lives around here. Together, we worked myself up enough to have me walking around the house with my gun, looking around every corner. Ultimately, we decided I should go stay the night at Nate and Meg's. So I packed up and put my sleeping Terran in the car seat and we headed to safety. I think he rather enjoyed our sleepover. He liked playing in the bed as I tried to make it..
I went home that afternoon after hanging out with Megan. I'm on the phone with Zach and the doorbell rings. I run into our guest room to peek through the blinds. No cars. That means neighbor or salesman. I went to look through the peephole, and the black guy was walking away! I watched him walk over to my neighbor's, then down the street to another one. This time he was in some sort of worker suit with cleaning stuff in his pocket. It appears he actually was a salesman! All that worry and fear for that. I still felt better knowing that was what he was doing. Plus, now I have walked through every thing I should do if I see a suspicious person in our neighborhood. I am also more determined to find a creative and cute way to put a No Soliciting sign on our front porch....




No comments:

Post a Comment