"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

-Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Ironman spectating

The day after my dad's graduation was the St. George Ironman 70.3. My dad still follows the triathlete world and knows all the top dogs, so we were pretty excited to watch since it was a Pro Championship. We kept debating back and forth the night before of what we should try to catch because with the road closures, we didn't want to get stuck and miss certain parts of the race. We ended up heading to Hurricane to see the bike race, and we caught the very front of the pack. It was way sweet to see the pros go flying by. It was even cooler to have my dad there to point out who was who and cheer them on by name!
After we watched the leading men and women, we headed to St. George. We saw the leaders again while we were driving on the freeway, then we stopped at Kneaders for breakfast. We feasted. It was yummy. Then we headed to our strategic point to catch the leaders coming in from the bike and out on the run. We had perfect timing. It was so fun to watch my dad get excited. My mom was a great help with Terran, helping me keep him covered in the sun and helping lug my diaper bag around. She is always the greatest help, in any situation!

Zach and his unit were working the Ironman, basically just manpower on standby. As timing would have it, we were able to meet up with him to watch the winner come in on the run. We also got to enjoy lunch together. Terran was pretty happy to see his daddy!
Oh, I almost forgot. The day before, after Dad's graduation, I went and signed up for the St. George Marathon! It's official. I got butterflies and I have been way excited ever since. My parents were debating whether or not they were going to do it. I thought they had decided not to, and the night it closed I remember thinking "I guess they aren't doing it." The next morning I was hanging out with my mom, and she said she couldn't remember if it was a dream or not, but she thought Dad had signed them up for the marathon. Turns out it was real! He said they may not be 100% committed, but at least now they have the option. I bet they will do it. :) They wanted to support me and be at the starting line together. Now, as I envision it, it is going to be even more awesome! Good thing I will have Zach around to take care of little T-Dub while we are all running...

No comments:

Post a Comment