"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

-Henry David Thoreau

Monday, September 16, 2013

Peroneal Tendonitis...again!

As I sit here at 10:00 pm, icing my feet, wishing I could just sleep, I figured I should do a little marathon update. There are 19 days til the race, that's what a post of FB informed me....I haven't exactly counted. I just got done with a 5 mile run and am feeling pretty great. But, why the ice?

Well, this is the thing. I have a curse. It is an injury curse. I get an injury 2-4 weeks before every race. Pretty interesting huh? This being the third time, I have done everything possible to fix it and be better for the marathon. By the way, peroneal tendonitis again. Repeat of last year. Except this time I had a little more time to work with - 2 weeks. So, I have bought different running shoes, got wedges to adjust my heel, am wearing compression socks every time I run, stretching, I got ultrasound once, gotten sports massages, ice, heat, rested for two weeks and just biked, then did nothing for a few days, wore my boot around for five days, wore an ankle brace, I am wearing sneakers pretty much everywhere, all day since flip flops and sandals irritate it like crazy, I am envisioning an awesome race and what I will say to myself if I want to stop, and praying that it is meant to be for me to finish. Pretty intense stuff. But, I justify it all since this is basically my only hobby and only place my "me-time" is ever spent. Here's to hoping I can figure out how to get back in run shape and taper at the same time to come out on top!

No comments:

Post a Comment