"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

-Henry David Thoreau

Friday, January 17, 2014

One Year Old

This post might take a bit to write because Terran has such a strong personality and I want to try and capture some of that as I describe him as he is right now.

This little guy has a mind of his own and it shows in everything! Starting with food: he picks and chooses when he wants to eat. Sometimes he is adamant about nursing but sometimes he is ok with a bottle. Sometimes he will eat tons of baby food, but then there are the times he absolutely refuses any and all baby food. Thankfully I feel pretty in tune to his desires, even if it can get frustrating, I would rather understand what he wants. He is persistent when he wants something, points it out until you understand, does not forget about what he wanted to do that I just distracted him from, has recently learned to throw screaming fits or tantrums when something happens that he doesn't like, and he likes to use my hands to do his bidding.

Terran would play outside all day long if I let him. The cold never seems to bother him. He has learned that he can eat snow. Not my favorite thing since he can't discern what snow is clean and what is dirty, but he likes to eat dirt too so maybe it doesn't matter. He prefers everyday objects to toys and loves lids. One of my go to distraction methods is giving him my blender to put the lid on and off. He also likes to stuff things inside. He likes to help cook, trying to stir the food and get stuff out of the microwave. 

He is always brightening people's day. People always comment how adorable he is. Even men. All the time! He even has a little smile for strangers that is just the cutest thing. I feel like that may be one of Terran's callings in this life, to brighten others' lives with his cheerful disposition. After observing Terran playing with some other kids, Zach said he thought Terran would be a gentle giant when he gets older. I think that is probably pretty spot on as long as we can teach him to control his emerging temper.

I'm so frustrated because twice now I have written two long paragraphs about Terran, and for the second time I somehow deleted them! That is the most frustrating thing because it is so hard to replace. So, for now I will leave it as it is. 

We love our little boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment