"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

-Henry David Thoreau

Sunday, September 21, 2014

D.C.and Delaware

This was the best end of summer trip! We were able to tag along with Uncle Dave, Uncle Burt, Aunt Bop, and Cheryl to a beach trip at Rehoboth. Ever since Jenny and I got to go with Dave and Burt five years ago, I have wanted to go again. The place is beautiful and I loved being in a different atmosphere.
As we were planning the trip, I thought it would be fun to spend a few days in D.C. before we headed over to Rehoboth. Zach was game, so we booked a hotel for a few nights. It was great to see the sights again. The first day was a little hard because we did a tad bit too much walking for Terran, but we got to see many of the memorials and went to the Museum of Natural History. The second day was hot and humid, but we hit up the White House and Lincoln Memorial, my favorite. We tried to see the Air and Space Museum, but parking was terrible and the line was like half a mile long, so we decided to head to the beach. We were ready for some relaxation!
We drove to the cute little beach house Uncle Dave rented for us (he seriously was so nice to do that!!). It was perfect for the three of us and had the beachy feel. We headed over to the other house to see it and spend some time hanging out with everyone. I can't even describe how great it is to see them all more than once a year. Terran remembered them and wasted no time getting comfortable.
I wish I could record every detail of our wonderful trip, but I am going to have to settle for some highlights right now:
*The first morning, Terran and I met Aunt Bop at the beach. It was freshly raked and Terran ran and ran and ran. It was beautiful. We were able to do it a few more times during the trip. I loved getting to spend that time talking with Aunt Bop and catching up while watching Terran experience pure joy.
*Zach and Uncle Dave went on a deep sea fishing trip and brought back a whole bunch of Tuna. Zach said it was one of his favorite parts of the trip, and Uncle Dave was just so happy that Zach would go with him.
*We rented bikes and rode through town and the state park where we spent a lot of time during our last trip. It was great to have physical reminders of that great time. Terran did great in the bike seat (it was his first time on a bike!).
*We had some Grotto's Pizza. Yum.
*Cotton candy, Thrasher's fries, the Boardwalk, the arcades. The atmosphere of Rehoboth is everything you read about or see in movies. If I was a millionaire, I would love to have one of those beach houses and spend the summers soaking it all in.
*We were able to have dinner with Burt's brother Ralph and his family a few times.
*Funland!!! Uncle Dave got teased the whole time that he was more excited for Funland than Terran. Once Terran got there though, I'm not so sure. I was very curious how he would like it, and he loved it! He was visibly excited for the rides and was able to point to ones he wanted. He would start to protest and scream the minute the ride would slow down because he knew that meant it was over. We all had to laugh a few times because here was five adults cheering on and watching one child! I find as time goes on, sometimes the best thing about being a parent is being able to watch your child love life, and that makes me love life too.
*Lots of beach time! Terran loved it so much, one day we went FOUR times! Zach loved being able to see him have such a blast. We got to spend time chatting in the shade or meeting new people (thanks to Terran's social nature!) Uncle Dave buried Terran in the sand, and Zach took a turn at that too. Wave chasing and wipeouts! Nakey baby buns. Seagull chasing. Sand castle building (then crushing), volleyball watching. There is just something so special about relaxing at the beach with family. It is such a peaceful and happy feeling, so I am glad we were able to do it with people we love.

This was a trip that I am going to forever remember and be grateful we could go to. Those moments walking along talking with Burt, Dave, and Bop don't come along as often as we would like and they are so very cherished. We talked a few times how it is Aunt Bop and Uncle Dave's second round of being Aunt and Uncle, and I couldn't be more excited for Terran and our other future kids to have Dave and Bop in their life. My childhood is rich with memories of them and their love and laughter so I am glad my children will get to have them in their life as well.

*There are way too many pictures that I love so I am going to have to make a photo book for this one!










1 comment:

  1. Awesome recap Brandi! One of my best vacations ever. I was spoiled getting a whole week with you!

    ReplyDelete