"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

-Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Races and training

After the miscarriage news, I decided that I would consider doing the St. George Ironman again. Once that thought entered, I also started considering the Utah Valley Marathon. I wanted to do both of these races again but with the timing of the pregnancy I had decided not to do either this year.

I did some rides and runs and printed off the plans to see if it would be possible. I was going to miss out on eight weeks of training for the ironman, but since I had done a couple half marathons I thought I would be okay on the run. I swam 40 laps to see if I could still hold my own in the swim and I did it without stopping in about 40 minutes! So my worries there lessened. Then it's the bike. I have done a few rides and hit some hills. My legs are shot right now but I decided I could go for it! I signed up for both races!

Knowing that I was working toward something instantly changed my training. It intensified a lot, but also became much more enjoyable. Even though my legs are feeling the fatigue, I have felt a lot of happiness as a result of pushing myself and envisioning the races.

Zach has been completely supportive, especially since I told him I really wanted to do it as a distraction. I knew if I didn't have something on my mind, I would be obsessing over when I would ovulate and how soon we could get pregnant again. Since it would take some time, I didn't want to spend a lot of my days dwelling on how I wanted time to pass. He wasn't extremely excited about the prospect of me being gone for hours on Fridays and Saturdays, but he supported my decision anyway. That meant so much to me. He understood my reasoning and didn't make me feel selfish in my desires. He financially supported my decision as well and I hope he knows how much I appreciate that.

I'm now in full race training mode and it's thought provoking, thrilling, and tiring all at the same time! Can't wait to see how this all goes and enjoy the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment