"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

-Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Going potty

Terran went potty in his froggy potty for the first time last night!

I thought early on I wanted to be just like my mom and have my kids potty trained by two years old. As Terran neared that age, I knew it wasn't going to happen. He is so strong willed and independent that he does not respond well to being forced to doing something. I knew that he would have to want to go potty on his own.

I got a small seat for the toilet, but he was not a fan of that from the beginning. I think it scared him because it wasn't very secure. My parents had a froggy potty but since they don't have grandkids close by who are going through potty training, my mom said I could use it. Over the next few months I showed it to Terran and explained what it was. When he would see me in the bathroom I would tell him what I was doing and remind him that he could do the same thing. He started sitting on it, sometimes with clothes on, but usually when he diaper was off. I would tell him to go potty and make "psss" sounds (I heard that helps, but it never seemed to make a difference).

Well, last night, I changed his diaper and he ran away bare bottom. He used to always do that, then went through a phase where he always had to have a diaper on, and now he decided in the moment what he wants. He was playing in the kitchen and said "pooo" which he says for poop, pee, potty, and toots. I hurried over to make sure he didn't really poo! and he showed me a couple drops of pee on the floor. He has never only had a couple drops so, like a lightbulb, I told him to go sit on his potty.

He booked it to his bathroom and I took a few minutes to clean up his mess. Then I realized he hadn't come out yet. I went to check on him and he was sitting on his potty, in the dark, saying "poo". I went and checked, and sure enough, there was a whole bladder full in his potty. I cheered him on and said good job. I was definitely more excited than him, but I was so proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment