"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

-Henry David Thoreau

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Four year old Terran

Terran picked to do his 4th birthday at Hang Time, a trampoline park! It was an awesome idea and we were really excited. The day came and Terran helped himself to a cupcake and the party favor candy while I showered, and I knew the day held a few meltdowns because of it. He actually did quite well, but kept wanting to ditch his friends so he could open presents! It was fun and lots of moms came, who I'm friends with, so we all got to visit. Sadly, Zach was in Missouri for SLC or it would have been even better. My parents came up the next day to celebrate Terrans actual birthday with us and that was so great to celebrate him all over again. He was beyond happy to have them there to be his playmates.

Terran is maturing rapidly lately. Zach and I have noticed his vocabulary has been expanding quite a lot. He understands so many things now and has developed a curiosity about how things work and why they are the way they are. In the past few months, we have discussed heaven and death, and one of his favorite topics is earth and space. Concepts that feel hard to explain but he loves to ask about them. He isn't interested in sitting and reciting letters or numbers, it almost seems that he gets bored with it really quickly. However, recently he surprised me with knowing more shapers and letters than I realized. He simply doesn't want to recite the A,B,Cs. He is extremely capable of making his own decisions and does not take the idea of "because mom said so" seriously. He counteracts when I say that I am the boss with telling me that he is actually the boss. He has and uses attitude to get his way and to make a point. He often says "I do whatever I want to." Obviously, I'm constantly working on teaching him respectful and correct behavior, and also trying to determine how hard to fight back with him as he has quite the determination in the ways of his mind. He is quick to meltdown, particularly if he is in need of food or rest, but he can have the time of his life in most situations if he decides that he wants to. He is not of fan of strangers talking to him and definitely chooses which adults he cares to talk to.
Terran is extremely observant, whether it be that I moved his picture on the fridge or noticing the child next to him at the train show that had trouble seeing. He is very very good with Kenna and Brooklyn, as well as other smaller children and send to really enjoy playing with them. He also plays with the ten year old boys in our neighborhood. Although he isn't overly friendly to grown ups, he loves children and playmates. I have watched him walk down the street to his friends and several of the neighborhood kids will call to him by name to say Hi. He is fun loving and headstrong, extremely handsome and opinionated. He is a picky eater, refusing food if it has a brown speck or does not look right (tonight his broccoli was squished and he refused it), but I will say he has been open to at least trying a few more things the last little while.

Though this age has by far been the hardest for me, I feel it is a mixture of him wanting more attention since I have to care to Kenna often, and him discovering his personality and learning what is acceptable and not. I am trying different things to try to keep a peaceful home, but sometimes he responds to yelling and anger so much quicker that it has become way too constant in our home. I never want to squash his unique personality so I'm working on finding a balance to teach him good values and still letting him be himself.

Again, things have been rough, but he is continually changing and I know this year has a lot in store for four year old Terran.

No comments:

Post a Comment